Penn Plax Cascade series include 5 models (Cascade 500, 700, 1000, 1200, 1500) used for different aquariums up to 200 gallons. They are the most popular external canister filters on the market today because of their powerful features and very affordable prices. This review will cover all powerful features of this series as well as provide you the method to set up and maintain the filters in the proper way.
Penn Plax Cascade Series Canister Filter Features
- Cascade 500 (FR: 115 GPH) for tanks up to 30 gal
- Cascade 700 (FR: 185 GPH) for tanks up to 65 gal.
- Cascade 1000 (FR: 265 GPH) for tanks up to 100 gal.
- Cascade 1200 (FR: 315 GPH) for tanks up to 150 gal.
- Cascade 1500 (FR: 350 GPH) for tanks up to 200 gal.
Penn Plax Cascade series canister filters efficiently provide powerful water flow and multi-stage external filtration system, which really get the job done. The filters are designed to be utilized on both fresh or salt water aquariums. Its color is cobalt blue and looks great next to any tank.
The flow rate is high enough to constantly keep the water circulated and filtered that ensures any toxic fish wastes are transferred. There are control valves for adjustment of the flow rate to perfectly fit your aquarium sizes and fish types. The control valves are also used for shutting off the water flow for maintenance easy without leak and mess.
Multi-Stage And Quiet Filtration
The product comes with start-up filter media, in addition to large filter trays. There are many baskets for containing filter media that makes it possible for the combining of multiple media delivering and multi-stage filtration. This is the combination of chemical, mechanical, and biological filtration that generates a fresh and healthy environment for aquarium creatures.
Note: The filter in the picture use my own filter materials, some aren’t available in the product
The large filter chambers, which enable you to utilize more media plus, are the most favorite feature of Cascade series. Whereby, the filter can accommodate a large amount of filter media for the better filtration and longer maintaining periods.
You can use the media come with the product or choose ones as you think best for your fish tank. You can use various media combinations, in order to accomplish a wide array of filtration as your needs. This includes bio-sponges, bio-floss, or activated carbon. The more media you use the cleaner your aquarium and the less maintenance you have to do.
Easy To Set Up And Maintain
Like Fluval 06 series canister filters, the installation of Penn Plax Cascade series canister filters is very simple, even easier because everything you need is accessible. Once installed, the filter works fast to keep your aquarium clean and clear. The filtering process will engage in about thirty minutes after installation and visible improvements can be noticeable less than a day.
The filter features a self-priming button on the lid for easy starting, just press the button several times until you get water flow from the intake tube going down into the filter. And then, the filter do its works to keep your aquarium clean and ideal for fish.
Moreover, Penn Plax Cascade series filters own some other wonderful features of Fluval 06 series make it easy for setup and maintenance.
- There are two independent directional 360-degree rotational valve taps for worry free placement.
- Swimming pool-style hose clamps make it easy to assemble as well as disassemble the filter for setup and maintenance easier.
- Flow-rate control valves allow for adjustment of the flow rate or shutting it off for easy maintenance without leak and mess.
- The directional returns aid in suspending waste matter which enables it to be taken in by the filter, and leaving nothing but clear, fresh water.
- Easy-lift clamps make it easy to remove the cover for maintenance. Simply release the vacuum and remove the top for cleaning, changing filter media or additional maintenance.
- Air-tight seal assures proper flow rate of the filter and allows for very quiet operation while it is working.
- Mounted tip-proof rubber base keeps the filter in place.
Pros And Cons Of Penn Plax Cascade Series Filters
- Very low price compared to other brands
- Extra easy to set up and maintain
- Can adjust or shut off water flow with control valves
- Quick and easy to prime by pushing the button self-primer
- Very quiet during operation
- Large capacity for low maintenance
- High quality, durable, tip-proof base
- Loved and praised by a lot of hobbyists.
- Some of the trays do not fit snug allowing some water to bypass the media. This can be easily solved by sticking filter floss into the side areas.
- The motor and pumping parts of the Penn Plax are sealed, you can’t get inside to clean out any residual waste matter, algae, or whatever else happens to build up inside the unit.
Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter Assembling Manual
Prepare FilterOpen lock clips. Remove motor unit. Remove filter baskets from filter case.
Prepare Media basketsFiltration works from the bottom up. Use floss pad and carbon bag in bottom basket. Use floss pad and coarse sponge pad in top basket.
Reassemble filterPlace seal ring, connector and media basket cover over top basket. Slide media basket clips into slots on sides of top basket. Note that small opening on motor unit must align with holes on basket.
Attach valvesAttach valves to ports on motor unit. Attach valve with blue ring to “in” port. Attach valve with black ring to “out” port
Position the filterChoose a location for the filter where it can be easily accessed for maintenance. Do not attach hoses yet! Note that hoses with valves will easily detach from motor to remain at aquarium during filter maintenance.
Hose attachmentAttach hose to intake tube. Use tube with blue hose ring. Attach intake tube extension and strainer. Use two suction cups to secure intake tube to aquarium wall.
Exhaust hose assemblyA spray bar or a directional spout as you want. All of these equipment help to break surface water to provide oxygen exchange for your aquarium. While the directional spout creates a forceful circulating flow in any direction, the spray bar evenly distributes filtered water across length of aquarium. If you prefer to position the directional spout or spray bar above water level, use the two extra elbow connectors to connect them.
Affiliate links & Images from Amazon Product Advertising API. Last update on 2020-12-02.
Top Editor's Choice on Penn Plax Cascade Canister Filter
Subscribe to our Newsletter!
Join our mailing list to receive the latest tips and news of our blog.