A 5 gallon aquarium kit with filtration and lighting is a great choice for starters who want to keep Betta fish, freshwater shrimps or other small tropical fish. Here are the list of the best 5 gallon fish tanks:
- Best 5 gallon fish tank reviews
- Marineland ML90609 5 gallon portrait aquarium kit
- Marina LED 5 gallon aquarium kit
- Fluval Spec V aquarium kit
- Penn Plax curved corner glass aquarium kit
- Fluval Edge 6 gallon fish tank
- Tetra Crescent 5 gallon acrylic aquarium kit
- GloFish 29045 aquarium kit with blue LED light, 5 gallons
- API Panaview aquarium kit with LED lighting
- Some stocking ideas for a 5 gallon fish tank
- How to set up and maintain a 5 gallon fish tank
Best 5 gallon fish tank reviews
Marineland ML90609 5 gallon portrait aquarium kit(5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: 5 gallon curved glass aquarium
- Dimensions: 11.8″ L x 11.8″ W x 16.8″ H
- Lighting: a hinged LED light with daylight, moonlight, and off settings
- Filtration: a hidden back panel filtration with adjustable flow filter pump
- Cartridge: Rite-Size Z Cartridge and Marineland Bio-Foam.
This is a five-gallon curved glass tank with a unique glass canopy which can slide to the back for easy access to the tank for feeding and maintenance. Being fit for setting up an aquascape with a portrait driftwood, this easy-to-assemble kit has a beautiful design and is very easy to maintain.
The lighting and filtration systems of the tank will satisfy both beginners and advanced hobbyists. The LED light includes white LEDs and blue LEDs and can perform daylight and moonlight effects, stimulating the underwater effects of sunlight and relaxing moonlight glow respectively. The light rail can be hinged to the back for easy access to the internal space of the tank for easy setup and maintenance.
Unlike other aquarium kits coming with external filters, the Marineland Portrait kit is built with a back panel filtration system that is stylishly hidden behind the main tank. The entire filtration system is operated by a water pump (included) that keeps the water flow through the filtration system and its internal filter materials for filtering. It uses a Bio-Foam and a Rite-Size Z Cartridge to perform an advanced 3-stage filtration to completely purify the water in all mechanical, chemical and biological aspects.
The return water flow of the filter can be adjusted to meet the needs of different fish species. This feature is very helpful, especially when you need to keep small fish or Bettas that love gentle water.
The kit comes with most things you need for the setup, you will only need to buy a small aquarium heater to maintain the temperature at a safe range for tropical fish if you want to keep this kind of fish.
- Well-designed curved glass front for better view
- Small foot-print for placing in many places
- Easy sliding glass top makes cleaning and maintenance a breeze
- Back filtration system is a great place for equipment setup
- Return flow of the filtration system can be adjusted
- LED light with white and blue modes
- Glass top protects the light from the moisture from the tank water
- Easily replace the light with another light if you want
- The back panel filtration is a little hard to clean.
Marina LED 5 gallon aquarium kit(5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: 5 gallon glass aquarium, very clear and long-lasting
- Dimensions: 16″ L x 8.5″ W x 10.5″ H
- Filtration: Marina Slim S10 clip-on filter and quick-change filter cartridges
- Lighting: LED light incorporated into the canopy with natural daylight effect
- Additives: fish food, Aqua Plus water conditioner, cycle biological supplement, a fish net, an aquarium care guide.
Marina LED aquarium kits are always the best choices of mine because of the quality of these products. The very clear glass tank, powerful filter and other wonderful features from this kit make it ideal for beginners who want to own a small fish tank to get started with the fish keeping hobby.
The powerful and quiet Hang-On-Back filter is the best thing praised by most customers. Its filter cartridges are so efficient in performing biological filtration that removes harmful nitrogenous toxins in the water and provides your fish a clean and healthy house.
The tank features a hinged canopy with pre-drilled holes for feeding and placing the HOB filter and a heater (buy separately). The LED light built in the canopy offers very bright natural daylight to illuminate your fish, plants, and decorations. The small drawback of the light is that it only offers white light, not blue light. The great thing is that many users reported that the LED light of the kit makes their aquatic plants grow gorgeously. However, I only recommend the light for low light plants.
Some additives necessary for setting up and maintaining a freshwater fish tank are also included in the product. Aqua Plus water conditioner helps to remove harmful substances like chlorine and heavy metals in the tap water. Cycle Biological supplement helps to remove ammonia and nitrites that may save your fish life in some emergency situations. Besides, the kit also comes with a fish net, thermometer, fish food and a guide for caring your fish.
- Large open space for gas exchange
- The power filter is so powerful and quiet
- Filter flow rate is adjustable to meet small fish’s needs
- Filter cartridges are worth for the money
- Very bright LED light can work for live plants
- Comes with many useful additives.
- Not include blue light
Read the full review: https://lovefishtank.com/marina-led-aquarium-kit/
Fluval Spec V aquarium kit(5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: 5 gallon etched-glass tank with aluminum trim.
- Dimensions: 17.2″ L x 6.3″ W x 10.6″ H.
- Lighting: overhanging lighting system, consisting of 37 powerful LED lamps.
- Filter: a built-in filtration system with a powerful circulation pump.
- Filter media: foam block, activated carbon and BioMax bio rings.
Being designed with special dimensions, the tank requires less space to house and perfectly fit on many desktops, countertops and other space into which normal tanks can’t be placed. By this design, your aquarium will be so similar to a lively nature picture in which fish and aquatic plants can grow normally.
The filtration system of this fish tank is very similar to the Marineland ML90609 portrait aquarium kit. It’s positioned behind the main tank and is powered by a powerful pump that keeps the water constantly circulated and filtered. Moreover, it comes with advanced filter media from Fluval for the most efficient filtration. Foam block for trapping dirty particles; activated carbon for removing chemical toxins, odors, impurities, and discolorations; and BioMax ceramic rings for the best biological filtration.
You can use the tank as a Betta fish tank or for stocking Gourami, small Tetras, small barbs, shrimps, snails and other fish species which can live healthily in a small tank. The powerful lighting system and filtration of the kit will provide the optimum environment for your fish and shrimps to thrive in.
- Special dimensions make it great for desktops, countertops
- Very durable tank with aluminum trims
- Very bright LED light for plant growth
- Powerful and multi-stage filtration system
- The output water flow can be adjusted.
- The cover looks so odd
- Less open space for gas exchange
Penn Plax curved corner glass aquarium kit(4.5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: 5 gallon curved corner glass tank
- Dimensions: 13.75″ L x 8.75″ W x 11″ H
- Light: LED lighting
- Filtration: CIF1 Cascade internal filter.
This is a 5 gallon glass tank with a unique design from Penn Plax. The curved glass corners make everything vivid and attractive when looking from the outside of the tank. The lid is made of clear plastic for unobstructed viewing on the top. The lid flexibly hinges on the top back edge making it easy to access to the tank inside for easy setup and maintenance. There is a small open space in the back end of the top for you to install equipment.
The tank is equipped with a clip-on LED lamp above the top on the back edge. The clear plastic top allows light to penetrate and protects the LED light from damages caused by the steam from the tank water simultaneously. This expands the light lifetime and allows you to easily use another LED light fixture if needed.
An internal filter is also included to keep the water clean and ideal for fish. The cascade filter comes with a black sponge that allows helpful bacteria to colonize on its surface. The light blue control knob on the filter allows you to adjust the flow rate of the water output to meet your aquarium needs.
- Well-built tank with bent glass
- Ideal dimensions for keeping fish
- Easy to handle top
- Internal filter can contain a small amount of filter media
Fluval Edge 6 gallon fish tank(4.5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: 6 gallon sealed glass aquarium
- Dimensions: 17″ W x 14.3″ D x 13.7″ H
- Available colors: black, silver, white
- Light: 21 LED bulbs—18 white 7600K and 3 deep blue bulbs with 3 switches
- Filter: Fluval power filter with CycleguardTM
- Additives: Nutrafin Cycle and Nutrafin Aquaplus water treatments.
This visually interesting and easily managed tank is perfect for office tables or small apartments. The creative design makes it look bigger than its actual capacity – 6 gallons (23 liters). When being full of water, the tank gives the feel of having no air at its top that offers great viewing from any angle including top and bottom that you can’t see in traditional rectangle aquariums.
Lighting and filtration system
The filtration system is a Hang-On-Back filter stylishly hidden in a plastic box behind the main tank. The filter features a CycleguardTM multi-stage filtration system that is very efficient in keeping the water clean and clear for a healthy and beautiful aquarium. The flow rate can be adjusted to fit the needs of small fish.
The LED light includes 21 LED bulbs (18 white and 3 blue) which offer both daylight and nightlight settings. The very bright daylight establishes an ideal environment for growing plants.
- Creative and attractive design
- Excellent filtration system
- Great lighting system with daylight and nightlight
- Too small open space for gas exchange
- Not good for Betta fish
Tetra Crescent 5 gallon acrylic aquarium kit(4.5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: a seamless contemporary 5 gallon acrylic aquarium
- Dimensions: 16.6″ L x 11.2″ W x 13.2″ H
- Lighting: energy efficient hidden LEDs offer bright white lighting
- Filtration: Tetra Whisper® internal filter and cartridge.
If you don’t like glass tanks, this five-gallon acrylic aquarium kit is the best choice for you. Being manufactured by the leader in underwater wonder – Tetra® USA, the Tetra Crescent acrylic aquarium kit will bring the nature into your office, living room, bedroom or any room with its very seamless and stylish look.
It features a hinged-style plastic lid which allows accessing to the tank easily for quick setup and maintenance. It comes with a bright white LED light and an internal filtration system to keep the tank run. It is ideal for setting up a planted tank with the kit. The seamless acrylic view accompanied with the bright white LED lighting will show off your entire aquarium theme and brighten up any space where the tank is placed.
- Clear and durable acrylic tank
- Compact design for placing in small places
- The lid isn’t clear
- The filter isn’t very efficient
GloFish 29045 aquarium kit with blue LED light, 5 gallons(4.5/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: a clear acrylic aquarium with curved front and a plastic canopy, 5 gallons
- Dimensions: 15″ W x 9″ D x 14.5″ H
- Lighting: detachable overhead blue LED light
- Filtration: Whisper(R) internal filtration and medium Whisper® Bio-Bag® cartridge.
If you are planning to stock your new aquarium with GloFish, this clear plastic aquarium kit is the best choice for you. The aquarium and its supplies are specially designed to bring out the beauty of Glofish. The filtration system keeps your fish healthy and the special LED light is intended to enhance the fluorescent lighting from Glofish.
The best fish you could keep in this tank are different types of Glofish including Zebrafish, Tetra (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi), Tiger Barb (Puntius tetrazona) Glofish. They come in a variety of colors from green, orange, pink, red, blue, and purple for you to choose. The blue LED light from this kit will provide perfect lighting for your GloFish(R) to brighten up both the aquarium and your interior decor.
- Clear and durable acrylic tank
- Blue LED light is great for Glofish
- Compact design for placing in small places
- The lid isn’t clear
- The filter isn’t very efficient
(4/5 by editor)Check on Amazon.com
- Tank: an acrylic fish tank, 5-gal
- Dimensions: 14.2″ L x 10″ W x 11.5″ H
- Light: 7-color LED lighting included in the hood
- Filtration: Superclean 10 internal power filter and cartridge.
Also an acrylic fish tank; however, it has a different design with flat back and rounded front. The special construction makes it resistant to impact and more durable than glass tanks. The clear acrylic and rounded front offer a crystal clear view without any obstruction.
API Panaview aquarium kit features
The tank comes with a black canopy with LED light included which can offer seven colors (amber, aqua, blue, green, purple, red, and white) to illuminate your aquarium’s inhabitants.
The Superclean 10 internal power filter features a flow rate of 45 GPH (gallons per hour) which works with the Bio-Chem Zorb 10 filter cartridge to clean and purify the tank. The filter is very easy to maintain, just cleans it once a week and sometimes changes the cartridge to keep the filtration efficiency.
- Great design
- Clear acrylic for unobstructed view
- Easy to use and handle.
- So weak filtration system
- The LED light doesn’t last long
- Not durable.
Some stocking ideas for a 5 gallon fish tank
It’s recommended that let’s start with a 20 gallon aquarium kit stocking freshwater fish if you are a beginner. If your stocking options are minimal or you are only interested in small fish tanks, you can minimize the fish living healthily in the tank.
A 5 gallon one should only be used to create enough environment for small fish like cory catfish or one male Betta. A shrimp tank is also a good choice because freshwater shrimps can live well with this small-sized tank.
You will have to ensure that the water is at the proper pH level, your fish are the proper kinds, they can live together, and numerous other topics. Keep in mind that small tanks are easy to change their environments than the larger ones, so they will cost time and money for the maintaining.
It is even harder for a small saltwater tank that requires a great deal of setup and maintenance. Many experts recommend that for a saltwater environment, the tank should be no smaller than a 30 gallon fish tank and it’s perfect for starting with a 55 gallon fish tank.
How to set up and maintain a 5 gallon fish tank
First of all, you should prepare all equipment for the setup. If you buy an aquarium kit, some equipment is already included and you only need to buy deficient ones.
Following are essential things you will need for the process:
- A glass or acrylic fish tank with a canopy.
- Having a stand is optional because this small sized tank can be placed well on a table.
- A proper LED light for the aquarium theme you intend for. If your tank is a fish-only one, a clip-on LED aquarium light is enough to brighten the entire tank. If you are planning for a planted tank, ensure that the light you choose is a LED light for planted tanks.
- You will need approx 4.5 pounds of substrate (gravel, sand or planted tank substrate) to fill a 1-inch bed of a 5 gallon standard tank with the dimensions of 16″ L by 8″ W by 10″ H.
- A small filter for 5 gallon aquarium with replacement filter media.
- Aquarium decorations and/or live aquatic plants.
- A 25-watt aquarium heater and thermometer if you want to keep tropical fish.
Now you have got essential things needed for the setup. In order to prepare your tank, you’ll need to clean it with tap water without using any soap or chemical. You’ll also need to clean the filter, decor, and gravel to ensure that all contaminants that are potentially dangerous to your fish are removed.
After all preparation steps, go to my full guide for setting up a freshwater fish tank to know how to get started the work. After all setup and cycle steps, buy some fish and/or shrimps and acclimate them to the new tank in the right way. You should buy your fish finally after everything is ready and only buy a few fish for the first time.
To keep your tank clean and clear and your fish healthy, you need to know how to change aquarium water in the right way. This is the very important work every hobbyist has to do every week to keep their tank healthy. Besides, you should sometimes clean/change filter media and clean your filter to help it work with the most efficiency.